I am a Computer Science teacher at a public secondary school (high school) in Tripolis, Peloponnese, Greece. I have extensive experience in teaching a wide variety of courses to students aged from 6 years old to mature adults and experience in teaching in multicultural settings.
Postdoc Researcher & EducatorI received my graduate degree in Informatics from the Piraeus University of Applied Sciences - Automation Department (Greece), and my Master’s degree in Information Technology from the University of the West of Scotland (UK) - Computing School. In June 2017 I received my Ph.D. at the University of Peloponnese (department of Informatics and Telecommunications) in the field of Computer Science Education. I have been very fortunate to study with extremely rigorous academic professionals who are genuinely committed to teaching and mentoring.
- Birthday: June 1978
- Website: www.ict.mysch.gr
- Phone: +30 2710 372264
- City: Tripoli, Peloponnese, Greece
- Age: 42
- Degree: PhD
- Email: ttheodor[at]uop[dot]gr
Personal StatementAs an educator, I perceive my main objectives as two-fold. On the one hand, I help students develop their understanding of Computational Thinking and build up valuable skills necessary to nearly any field. On the other hand, I provide opportunities for student critical thinking scaffold that reinforce reflective skills and help them understand not only how to perform a function, but also justify how they arrived at that solution. I try to reconcile these two objectives in my teaching practice instead of considering them separately.
My key metrics :)
Years - as a CS teacher in Greek secondary education, firm believer of Game-Based Learning and kids' coding
Publications - in peer reviewed journals, book chapters and conferences during the last 5 years
Years - as EU Code Week Ambassador, a grassroots initiative about coding and digital literacy, #CodeWeek
Kids - and above all proud father and husband
I am a very organised person, flexible, passionate and motivated (willing to learn). I enjoy working in a team environment and I can communicate very well with my co-workers.
I am a postdoctoral researcher in the field of games and immersive learning technologies and CS teacher at Greek secondary education.
Innovative CS educator with 15+ years of experience, developing-researching student-centered pedagogies.
- Tripoli, Peloponnese, GR
- +30 2710 372264
Postdoc & Digital Games in programming learning
HCI-VR LAB , Department of Informatics and Telecommunications, University of Peloponnese, Greece
Post doctoral research on digital games and programming learning.
PhD & Computer Science Education
Department of Informatics and Telecommunications, University of Peloponnese, Greece
Doctor of Philosophy diploma on didactics of CS with emphasis on Game-Based Learning, Alternative Teaching Methods and personalization techniques in programming learning.
MSc & Information Technology
University of the West of Scotland, UK
Master of Science from the Computing School of UWS in Information Technology with Management Stream (2 years).
BSc & Automation Engineer
Piraeus University of Applied Sciences
Bachelor of Science for the department of Automation, Technological Education Institute of Piraeus, now called University of West Attica, Greece (4 years).
- Greek (native)
- English (excellent)
- German (good)
- C, C++, Python, Java, Swift
- IDEs: Xcode, NetBeans, VS Code, Sublime Text, Ninja Python
- Databases: SQL (MySQL, MSSQL), SQL Server
- Repositories github.com/anatheodor
Ambassador of the European Code Week for Greece, https://codeweek.eu/ambassadors?country_iso=GR
Member of the Scientific Committee of the Panhellenic Open Robotics Competition of Open Technologies https://robotics.ellak.gr/
Editor & Reviewer
Reviewer and member of the scientific committee in several international scientific journals and conferences.
Arts & Technology
- Passionate about the intersections of art and technology.
- Develops and deploys applications for use in performing arts.
- Trying to connect learning (with the use of technology) in nowadays critical areas together with arts practices.
- Promotes the cultivation of students' innovative abilities and high-level thinking in order to develop advanced skills and establish a connection with real life.
Head of department
2010 - 2012
Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs, Greece
- Head of the technical department and e-learning expert at Arcadia perfecture. Technical support for new technology infrastructures in Primary and Secondary Education schools.
- Design and developement of the DDE portal.
- Design and implementation of a call service center.
- Developement of a file server application and infrastracture.
- Design and developement of an electronic payment invoice application.
2005 - 2006
TIM Hellas, Athens, Greece
- Human Resources Department, TIM Hellas (Telecommunications, now known as Wind).
2004 - 2005
Daltec SA, Athens, Greece
- Lead in the design, development, and implementation of the graphic, layout, and production communication materials.
- Supervise the assessment of all graphic materials in order to ensure quality and accuracy of the design.
2004 - 2005
Athens 2004, Athens, Greece
- Level 1 Information Technology administrator, for 'Admin' computers network - preparation, during and after the Olympic games of Athens 2004.
- During the Olympics/Paralympics, administrator @ 2 main venues: HEL/HEF Elliniko, Athens.
Adjunct Faculty Instructor
2019 - present
PDA - UoP, Greece
Adjunct Faculty Instructor at the department of Performing and Digital Arts, University of Peloponnese. Courses: Introduction to Technology, Human Computer Interaction, Virtual Reality.
2012-13, 2015-16, 2019-20
DIT - UoP, Greece
Seconded teacher (for three periods) at the department of Informatics and Telecommunications, University of Peloponnese. Laboratory staff member. Courses: Programming I (C), Programming II (C), Object-Oriented Programming (Java), Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Reality, Intro to CS.
2005 - present
Ministry of Education, Greece
Teaching Computer Science to public Secondary Education Schools @ Arcadia prefecture, Peloponnese.
2005 - 2006
Ministry of Education, Greece
Teaching Computer Science courses to public Institutes for Vocational Training (IEK), Attica prefecture.
Technological Educational Institute of Piraeus, Greece
Laboratory staff member (as an undergraduate student), Automation Department.
Download my CV
A selection of recent journal publications, conferences & workshops & book chapters.
- Theodoropoulos, A., & Lepouras, G. (2020). Digital Game-Based Learning and Computational Thinking in P-12 Education: A Systematic Literature Review on Playing Games for Learning Programming. In Handbook of Research on Tools for Teaching Computational Thinking in P-12 Education (pp. 158-179). IGI Global.
- Theodoropoulos, A., Vassilakis, C., Antoniou, A., Wallace, M., & Lepouras, G. (2019, September). ATMF: A Student-Centered Framework for the Effective Implementation of Alternative Teaching Methods for CSEd. In Conference on e-Business, e-Services and e-Society (pp. 116-127). Springer, Cham.
- Theodoropoulos, A., Antoniou, A., & Lepouras, G. (2016). How do different cognitive styles affect learning programming? Insights from a game-based approach in Greek schools. ACM Transactions on Computing Education (TOCE), 17(1), 1-25.
- Book Chapters
I do research on CSEd (Programming environments and digital games for learning), Game Technologies, Game Design and CHI-Ed. I pursue research concepts such as user experience modeling and procedural content generation for the design of personalized interactive systems. Lately, I have been involved in projects that combine interactive/immersive gaming technologies with arts, education and culture.
You can drop me a line either by email or by using the form below. Feel free to send your message.