The ARCHAEOLOGICAL footpath from the Mycenaean period in the Classical age

 
PTELEOS

  Pteleos is an ideal place for your holidays all year round, mainly though in summer, when most tourists come. Each district of the municipal of Pteleos has its own history and tradition which lives on in our days. Pteleos lies on the south coast of the prefecture of Magnesia, 60 km to the south of Volos, opposite the famous islands of Sporades. A group of settlements along the beautiful coasts surround the main village, forming a lively community which combines in harmony virgin nature with all modern facilities, shops, hotels, bars, restaurants, first aid station etc. On the coast Pigadion and Ahillion are the centre of life with picturesque ports, fish taverns serving seafood specialties and night entertainment. In the municipal of Pteleos there are many historical sights to admire such as the remains of Mycenean tombs, the Venetian castle in Pigadion with its fantastic view, the well restored remains of an old windmill in Hamak, the ruins of the village of Hamak, but also the biotope in Lihoura, the mountain range of Othrys with its recently discovered caves and the maritime museum in Ahillion. Apart from the historical sights there are also numerous little churches and chapels which either due to their position or their history are worth a visit. One should see the church of St. George high up on a hill, from where you can admire the Gulf of Pagasitikos and the mountain range of Pilion, at any time of the day or night! The beaches Agia Marina, Lefki, Lihoura, Loutro, Pahiamos, Draka, Mitrouna, Kotsikia, Briniotissa, Rodia, Panagia belong to the most beautiful and cleanest in the southeast of Magnesia. Some of these are easily accessible, offer all facilities, other places are more remote, ideal for romantic trips. Agios Dimitrios in the district of Ahillion is a very popular beach of our area. After a long day at the beach you can relax and refresh yourself at the many tavernas, cafes, bars with fresh fish or amazing cocktails. All the beaches along with Pigadion have been honoured with the "Golden Star" and "Blue Flag" awards for purity and beauty of the landscape
 
A FEW REMARKS ON THE HISTORY OF PTELEOS

  Pteleos was first mentioned in pre-Homertimes. The name itself is amongst the few which have preserved since ancient times. Ptelea = elm tree was according to belief then a holy tree and according to the legend "The elm tree rose the grave of Protesilaos" who had been killed in the Trojan War. Homer, the great poet, on the other hand, does not referto the area as a region with elm trees. On the list of ships which took part in the conquest of Troy, Pteleos is referred as "lehepii (Lehos Ancient Greek, which is interpreted as 'bed' and "pii" means "poa, hloi" meaning greenness, green vegetation) which should lead us to believe that Pteleos was situated in a landscape full of "lush pastures".   Set back in time to the captivating mythological epoch there was Protesilaos, who was considered "King to some and Prince to others" and who ruled over the ancient cities of Filaki, Iton, Andron and Pteleos. He participated in the Trojan War with 40 battle ships, did not, however, die in combat, but the moment he disembarked his own ship on the shores of Troy. Leaving myths behind and moving on to modern times one can see that archeologists place the Prethessalic town of Pteleos near the harbour of Pigadi. In the Middle Ages Pteleos was relocated to its position today and is often mentioned in the chronicles of the Venetian and Turkish ruled Thessaly. In the era of the Byzantine Empire vine and excellent wines were abundant in the surroundings of Pteleos and as it says "The wine of Pteleos flows as a precious produce in the Queen of all cities (Constantinople) regarded a contemporary champagne (sparkling wine)". In the 15th century Pteleos was called Ftelia or Ftelio. This particular mention goes back to the historian Laonikos Halkokondili whom Skouvaras quotes, recounting the conquest of Thessaly in 1423 by Tourhan Bey, general of Sultan Mourat II. "There was no destruction or plundering as the conquest had resulted from peaceful capitulation. "However, only on one incident, in 1470, Sultan Mohammed II conquered the Thessalic forts Pteleos and Gardiki, which the Venetians had been trying to hold desperately as they did not want to submit to the Islamic Yoke. The Sultan had all male population above the age of 12 executed "took over both Ftelia and Gardiki and left them in ruins". He relocated all inhabitants to Constantinople, as well as women and children from Evripos. In 1832 Turkish reign ceased. In 1835, when the Greek government declared status of municipality for the people of Pteleos under Ftiotida, it was referred to as "Pteleos". The parish was established underthe Royal Enactment of His Majesty on 20th April in 1835 and consisted of 614 inhabitants, of which 287 lived in Pteleos,236 in Hamak,37 in Agii Theodori and 54 in Gagriani (today Gavriani). In 1837 the town hall was transferred to Sourpi and in 1864 two communities had been set up, the summer seat would be in Sourpi and the winter seat in Pteleos. In 1999 due to new regulations and to facilitate services all smaller communities were merged to one large municipal, which is today Pteleos.

 GAVRIANI


Gavriani lies on the foot of Mount Othrys with its waterfalls and lush pine forests.

The inhabitants occupy themselves mainly with stockbreeding (sheep and goats) and crops, such as wheat, tee and herbs.  




AHILLION


Modern Ahillion lies on the end of the Gulf of Pteleos. Before 1920 the inhabitants lived further up in the hills, a place called Hamak, which derived its name from the mother of Ali Pasha Hamko.

Today one can visit the old windmill, the ruins of the old village and the old monastery with its frescos.
From excavations it is known that modern Ahillion had been a small settlement and it is said that the name Ahillion comes from Ahilles, Homer's hero, who is reported to have lived there once.

 People in Ahillion are occupied with agriculture (stockbreeding and olives) but also with fishing and in the last few years with tourism (bed and breakfast, restaurants, clubs, etc.).
The Maritime Museum is worth a visit, which exhibits all kinds of shells, fish and equipment for fishermen.

AGII THEOGORI

   Not much is known about Agii Theodori from the old times.
The settlement was burnt down by the Turks.
Hence the inhabitants lived a nomadic life.

In 1845 they decided to settle down in today's position of the village due to the excellent climate which prevails there.

Wheat and olives are harvested, and stockbreeding is the main occupation. Visitors will love the clean fresh air and juicy lamb chops in the tavernas.  


OTHRYS  


  Towards inland rises the range of Othrys which is reported to have been occupied in the ancient times.
It has also been mentioned in mythology (Battle of Titans) .

You can go trekking, visit old monasteries and generally enjoy pristine nature.
Best time is from May to November, but even in wintertime you could go ski trekking.  


USEFUL NUNBERS

Town hall: (24220) - 41130,41227,41886,41887
Citizen Service Centre: (24220)) 41910 Fax 24220 41911
Hospital in Almiros: (24220) 22222,23991
Doctor in Pteleos: (24220) 41220
Pharmacy in Pteleos: (24220) 41317
Pharmacy in Ahillion: ((24220) 92610


GRAMMATIKEIO HIGH SCHOOL  PTELEOS

   The site '' In the neighborhood of Protesilaos: The Archaeological footpath from the Mycenaean period in the Classical age'' created the title environmental program developed by our school
              GRAMMATIKEIO HIGH SCHOOL of PTELEOS